How & Where to Use Custom Decals
Custom decals are a very inexpensive and cost-effective form of signage. Custom decals are effective at delivering short, simple messages, and even depicting small graphics. But when is it best to use a custom decal and when it is it best to use a different type of sign or graphic, such as a wall graphic? Where are the best places to use custom decals? This article will go over how best to use, and where to use, custom decals.
How to use custom decals
For the purposes of clarity, let us first state that “decal” and “sticker” are often used interchangeably in the signage world although traditionally a sticker would be a graphic that has an adhesive and you can peel it off and stick it to a surface. Custom vinyl cut decals are installed by transferring the decal to a transfer tape, ensuring it is free of air bubbles and installing it to your wall, metal, porcelain or other surface. You need to be careful with custom decals as with stickers, they cannot be repositioned once affixed. You can’t move custom decals around until you find the spot you like. Once you’ve picked your spot, your custom decal is staying there until you take it down.
Where to use custom decals
As mentioned above, custom decals can be used as wall signs. You can use custom decals to spell out the name of your Toronto-area business, to advertise specific products for sale in your retail space, or just to provide wayfinding signage in a unique and effective way. Custom decals allow you to deliver information which can is purely functional, but to do so in a way that not only stands out better, but that allows you to subtly convey some aspects of your brand. For example, you can use special fonts or colour schemes with your custom decals that match your other signage and branding.
Custom decals can be applied in both interior and exterior locations, depending on your needs. Here are some of the most common places where people choose to place custom decals.
Wall decals are custom decals that are applied to an interior wall. These bold displays make a statement in any space. When used in a business context, they can help a shop or office look more professional and unique.
There are two different types: full wall decals and partial wall decals.
- Full: Decals that cover an entire wall from top to bottom. They make a big impact and are usually used to replicate the effect of custom wallpaper in shops, offices, schools, and other busy spaces.
- Partial: Decals that only take up a specific amount of space on a wall. These are often used to display logos and slogans in business environments or add visual interest to a room in facilities like daycares and community centers.
Window decals are applied to glass in a number of different settings. Here are some of the most common types of window decals and what they are typically used for.
- Clear: Clear decals are partly transparent and often used as part of shop displays. These decals are unique because they can be mirror-printed and applied to the inside of a window instead of the outside. This way, the decal design still shows through, but the decal itself is protected from the elements.
- Opaque: Opaque window decals do not allow any light to pass through them. This makes them show up clearly against the glass. These decals are usually small and are used to advertise things like a store’s business hours or a current promotion.
- Perforated: Perforated window decals have small uniform holes in them that you may not be able to see until you get up close. This design allows them to display an image on one side and be see-through on the other. Perforated window decals are usually used for very large displays because it is still possible to see through them.
- Matte: Matte decals resemble frosted glass, and they are used for similar purposes as well. Offices often apply matte custom decals to glass partitions to create a sense of privacy and division between spaces. They can also be effective on glass doors and railings.
Floor decals are not as widely used as the other decals on this list, but they are becoming more popular over time. They are most commonly used to:
- Help customers find their way around a space (marking locations like the checkout counter and bathrooms)
- Lead customers through the desired path in your space, such as to the sales section or the area with common impulse purchases.
- Announce sales and promotions
Car decals are a great way to harness the power of mobile advertising. They can be applied to the windows, sides, hood, and tailgate of a car.
- Windows: Since it is essential to maintain complete visibility when driving a car, decals placed on car windows are often perforated or very small. Depending on your needs, you can put these decals on the side and rear windows or the front windshield.
- Sides and Hood: The sides and hood of a car have plenty of space for large, flashy decals. Some people use these spaces for decoration; think of the classic image of a car with flames spreading down its sides. Businesses often put their company name, logo, and contact information on the sides of their vehicles to identify themselves and advertise their services simultaneously.
- Tailgate: Considering how many hours we all spend in traffic each week, the tailgate is arguably the most visible part of a vehicle. This makes it a great place to put a company logo or personal graphic.
If you want to take car decals one step further, you can also get custom vehicle wrapping for your company cars. This service applies a huge decal to the entire surface of your car, wrapping around it as shrink-wrap would. The effect is striking, and the wrap can even provide additional protection from scratches and rust.
Custom decals on vehicles
Another popular place to install custom decals is on a work vehicle. Custom decals on work vehicles are an incredibly effective form of marketing and promotion. Consider all the time you spend driving around, stuck in traffic on the 401, commuting from Brampton, Woodbridge, Pickering, or anywhere else in the Greater Toronto Area. Now what if you could turn all that time spent commuting into advertising time. By promoting your business on your work vehicle with custom decals, you can do just that. Custom decals are popular with tradespeople who drive to different worksites regularly, such as plumbers, landscapers, and pest control services businesses.
The Sign & Graphics Manufaktur designs custom decals for people and businesses in Toronto, ON, and nearby places. Whether you want a custom decal to brand your retail space, to promote your business on your work vehicle, or just to make your child’s playroom a little more fun and interesting, we can design and manufacture the right custom decals for you. To request a quote or a free consultation, please contact us through our website or by calling us at 905-670-0797.